Assisi Convent, Thirthahalli - November 3, 1956
Thirthahalli, a “hamlet of holy water” is located in Shimoga District in the State of Karnataka. It lies in the bank of the River Tunga. The Ursuline Franciscan Sisters landed in this sacred place on November 3, 1956. The people of the village were poor. The dense jungle all around worsened the Situation. Rev. Fr. F. P Lopez invited the Sisters with a threefold mandate to educate the poor, to attend to their basic requirements and to help out in the apostolic activities of the Parish church. Within a couple of days they took charge of the nursery under the management of the Parish Priest. The Sisters visited the houses and raised their standard hygienically, materially and socially.
Gradually they started needle work classes for young ladies and Primary classes under the shade of trees. It was only in the year 1965 that the school building was constructed and extended in the year 1974. The new school building was constructed in 1999. A conducive convent building was constructed and inaugurated on April 24, 2001. Heeding the demand of the people for an English medium school the St. Mary’s English Medium High School was inaugurated on June 8, 2005.
In keeping with the need of the time a separate block for English Medium is spotted at Indira Nagara two K.M s away from the convent, and constructed school Building and inaugurated on October 3rd 2008 by Rev. Sr. Olinda Sequeira the Provincial Superior and blessed by Most. Rev Jerald Issac Lobo the Bishop of Shimoga.
The Sisters’ not only give importance for the educational apostolate but also they involve themselves in the parish ministry.